Monday, April 21, 2014

twenty one pilots Review!

We left the house pretty late, 5:45, so I knew we'd have a pretty far back spot on the floor. We arrive to the venue at 6:45 after a bunch of traffic. We line up behind the venue that spanned 3 sides of a city block. We get into the venue at 7 and end up a few rows in front of the bar area. Hunter Hunted started around 7:30 and rocked the house. They played 6 songs and impressed the hell out of me. I even ended up buying their 5 song EP....THAT THEY SIGNED!  8) after their set we had a 20 minute break til NONONO who sadly disappointed me. Pumpin Blood was fun of course, but the rest of their set left a lot left to be desired. They didn't have any stage presence compared to Hunter Hunted and didn't react with the crowd as much. Can't wait to get Hunter Hunted's first album later this year. After about a 30 minute wait the lights turn off and the instrumental intro for Implicit Demand for Proof starts and the crowd goes crazy with the 3rd best jumping of the night. Their is a massive push to the stage and we run up. My small lady friends almost got trampled but me and my other tall friend protected the ladies. Tyler and Josh come out with masks and suits on and start with my favorite song, Guns for Hands. I've never seen so much energy from a crowd! The band followed with 3 other songs from Vessel: Migraine, Ode to Sleep and a personal favorite, Screen. After Migraine the band makes a costume change from the suits to the Skeleton costumes which lead to another crowd push in and after Ode to Sleep Tyler changes to his moms robe and Josh puts on the shirt he'd wear for the rest of the night, which Tyler would later do. Following Screen, the band would play older songs that the crowd didn't react to as well but I loved: Isle of Flightless birds from the self titled album and Anathema which followed with another crowd push in and Forest from Regional at Best. Up next came a cover of Mad World by Tears for Fears which was really cool. They put a drum pad on Tyler's piano and Josh played while Tyler sang. Up next came the hit from Vessel, Holding on to You which got a ridiculous crowd response along with another, smaller crowd push in. The ending "Lean with it, Rock with it" chant was one of the most intense moments I've had with a concert. House of Gold was up next, which I recorded and will put on youtube tomorrow. Up next was Semi-automatic which was pretty intense with the drum solo at the end in the crowd which lead to a larger crowd push in. The Run and Go was the next song which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Ending the main set was crowd favorite Fake You Out. The jumping was probably the 4th best of the night. The dual drum solo at the end was like nothing I've ever seen. If I can find a video of it I'll post on tomorrow. Tyler then follows with a speak talking about his dream of the crowd leaving before the encore and telling us not to leave. He also told us that he thanked us for letting him turn his journal in to these songs and telling us "thank you for liking weird songs". Up next was the best song of the night. The opening piano of Car Radio starts, leads to ANOTHER crowd push in and I know what will ensue will be legendary. The slower beginning of the songs is finished and the electronic beat kicks in and the crowd has the BEST jumping session of the night. I've never screamed lyrics so loud and been in a crowd like that. The guys end with Trees which kicked as and was the second best jumping session of the night. The band thanked us and tol dus good night. 

After the show we went downstairs to get merch, I got a shirt and wristband. We also got the meet Hunter Hunted and got the signed EP. 

Highlights: Car Radio, Guns for Hands *my favorite song*, Anathema, Forest, Fake You Out + Drum Solo. But honestly, the whole set was a highlight. Seeing and meeting Hunter Hunted plus getting the signed EP. The crowd was also awesome with the best jumping sessions ever
Not-So-Highlights: Bunch of casual fans who just wanted to push up to the front before the band got on stage. and NONONO was disappointing live
Both: The crowd push ins. It was great to get closer but it was dangerous for my friends. Luckily we all ended up OK and no injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment